Sunday, December 30, 2012

The Longest Flashback 2

(Prev)

Jetroid wrote:
>I decided to flirt with her. To get her to trust me.

I decided to play a little role. She was pretty, and would be expecting someone to hit on her. Someone oblivious to her identity, skills, and crime. Possibly someone of average attractiveness at best. If she played along I might be able to get her alone, but I didn't really expect her to be that gullible..nor particularly interested. But if I could annoy her long enough it would force her to leave. And then I could make my move.
So I eased my way up to the bar, the seat next to hers. And I looked over, pretending to notice her for the first time. "Hey, if you're here every night I might have to come here more often."
She smiled ahead of her own joke. "If I were here every night you'd have no reason to be interested."
"Huh. Guess not." I ordered something stiff. I needed to be able to concentrate tonight, but I could handle a glass or two, and I needed to keep up appearances. Once the bartender left to get my order I said, "In that case what are you doing in a place like this?" I didn't expect her to confess anything outright--again, clearly not that stupid--but I could hope for a few hints at least.
"Guards won't let me out of town," she said, taking a small sip of whatever she'd ordered before punctuating that with, "D--- racists."
"How's that?"
"Saw 'em nearly arrest the last Fox to try and leave town. Poor girl was just a merchant selling some wares from out east. You know, one of us robs the Count and all the rest suffer for it." My drink came and I took a long pull on it, thinking. This was impressive: Playing a victim of her own actions. Not techincally telling any lies, either.
Two could play at that. "Ah, well, I ain't from town. Been a lot of places, seen a lot of different people. Don't want to cause any trouble, though. Hard to get jobs if people don't trust ya."
"Hm..but surely you're open-minded enough to take a well-paying, discreet job? Hypothetically, of course."
"I guess that'd depend on who was offering it."
"Well, we might need to get to know each other then. Let's start with names, hm?"

(Next)

From: http://mspaforums.com/showthread.php?49134-The-Longest-Flashback-Fantasy-Text-1-Catching-the-Fox

No comments:

Post a Comment